Friday, February 2, 2018

Rustic Spring Table

It's hard to believe that February is already here and 
spring will soon be upon us.  Why is it that when we were
kids the years seemed to go on forever, and now that we are 
older we just can't seem to catch our breath and the months 
feel as though they fly by.
Now that February has arrived it's time to start thinking of spring.
Of course, whether we are ready or not, the decor stores have had bunny
displays since December.  I have always refrained from allowing myself to 
give in to the pressures of premature decorating.  However, the decision to start my spring decor in February is easy when the weather here in So Cal is sunny, warm, and beautiful.
I am starting slow of course and keeping things natural and green for the most part.
As the spring months approach I will incorporate more florals into my decor, but for now, green topiaries and fresh tree clippings are my go to spring starters.
So far, I've styled my spring dining room table. The design is a natural rustic style with 
a lot of texture.  When I think of spring, I think of natural elements and that is exactly what 
I envisioned for my spring dining room table.  The design consists of textiles, woods, and greenery.  
I hope you enjoy this little tour of my first spring table design of 2018




Let's begin with THE TABLE...
Our new rustic dining room table has been my favorite
furniture purchase in our new home thus far.  
I love the rustic simplicity it offers.  From farmhouse, to glam, to rustic, 
to traditional elegance, this table is the perfect backdrop to any tablescape
I can possibly imagine designing.

My spring table design goal...
The need to incorporate natural elements and texture in this design
was very important to me, because for me spring brings forth
nature's natural beauty.  One of the natural elements I was committed to using
in this design was wood.  Not only does this beautiful wood dining table
exude a raw natural beauty in itself, I wanted to maintain a cohesive design by incorporating other wood pieces to compliment the rustic table.
The most important piece I used to achieve
this was my vintage wood box/drawer from my favorite local 
antique mart.  


 This gorgeous drawer with original number markings underneath 
it's open handle is rich in texture.  The natural wood tone against 
the greenery placed inside blend well and give off a vibrant color
to the overall design.
 

                               The well defined space inside makes it the perfect receptacle                                        for holding extra utensils, table linens and some extra greenery.
 
Embellished with a personalized wooden tag, this vintage piece 
is beyond utalitarian...it is a decor statement in itself and sure to 
catch the eye of every dinner guest who sits at our spring table. 

 The Greenery...

 As I mentioned in the opening of this post, I wanted greenery to be the center of this spring table design.  I used faux topiaries in varying heights to achieve texture, dimension, and color against the rustic-raw table.  The white pots they sit in add additional color to this natural design palette.

 The beauty of using these faux topiary trees is that, unlike natural foliage, they can be reused thereby making this table design pretty much sustainable with very little maintenance or waste.

 The varying heights give an imperfect balance and don't give off that "matchy-matchy" look that can 
 look redundant in interior styling.





The textiles... Table linens

I am a linen lover, and I am always finding ways to switch up the design of my table linens
in my styling.  In this spring tablescape, I decided to incorporate the use of two different styles and patterns of dinner napkins.



I've combined white hempstitch linen napkins from Pottery Barn with cotton stripped #hearthandwithmagnolia napkins to give this table design an unpredictability.  The alternating napkins balance the table design while giving it relaxed and unsophisticated elegance.















The farmhouse striped napkins in their muted gray tone coordinate well 
with the galvanized wood utensil holders.



Natural elements that add warmth and additional dimension to the design...
 The oversized wooden spoons give extra attention
 to my need for texture in my table design.  I've placed them inside a simple
galvanized mini bucket and their natural beauty stands out against the stark white dinner plates.


My #hearthandhandwithmagnoia round pedestal stand  a Christmas gift from my sweet mom is the perfect base to house my white Ikea candles.  The footed  stand boasts a beautiful rustic 
wood grain and is the perfect height so as not to impede dinner conversations.   

 




 The Farmer's Plate Rack- holds my white appetizer and dinner plates.
The rustic simplicity of this chippy galvanized piece acts as the grounding centerpiece for this table.
I am a true lover of plates, and ever since I received this gorgeous piece as a Christmas gift from my hubby, it has made it's home in the center of our dining table.


 I love the casual vibe it brings to this particular spring tablescape too!


And for casual dinner parties, I will have my guests "just grab a plate..."
 
   Just like spring which comes in quietly and subtly, is how I wanted this design to come to life.
A simple and natural design that exudes the colors and textures of the season without fuss or deliberetness... Spontaneous and beautiful just like SPRING is what I wanted to achieve in this spring tablescape, and I am happy with the results!

What will spring bring to your table?


XX,

Betty
 Here are a few more shots of my spring Table design! 







 











No comments:

Post a Comment