Wednesday, December 24, 2014

NYC Themed Christmas Tree

 I've been promising to reveal this year's 
thematic dining room Christmas tree... and finally, I can share the finished product with you.

But first, a little background story...
New York is our "second home;" 
We got engaged there: YES, the hubby proposed to me atop of the Empire State Building!!
We named our daughter after one of it's
 most famous streets, and have lost count
as to how many times we've visited.
I guess one can say, we stopped being tourists long ago.  
New York is our home away from home.

For a few years now, I have added a dining room Christmas tree 
to my holiday decor.  When I first pondered the idea of a dining room tree, I was certain,
I didn't want the dining room tree to be just any ordinary tree, 
so I decided I that each year, I would make the dining room tree a thematic tree.
I'm sure you recall last year's New England themed dining room tree.
 Well this year, I decided to pay homage to our favorite city in the world...NYC!

I have to admit, this tree has been my favorite to create.  And, it will quite possibly
become a permanent fixture in our dining room.  I am thinking of adding to it each year, until it is filled with everything under the sun related to NYC.

So here is the BIG reveal of my NYC dining room thematic tree. 


 Using hard glitter card stock, and gold cord for hanging, I created the perfect signature ornament 
for my NYC themed tree.

 
 I purchased the white ball ornaments at our local craft
store (9 balls per box) and used sharpies to embellish each one...I added
a gold cord, and I had instant ball ornaments ready to hang.

 This phrase defines us...

I think it's fair to say that there is not one inch of NYC 
that we haven't explored and have fallen in love with...
So, with that said, I incorporated some of our favorite spots
onto some of the white ball ornaments...
  
 One of our favorite pastimes while in the city, 
is taking in a show or two, or three.  For those of you that know us,
it takes everything to make us want to see a musical or play here in Los Angeles...
It's just not the same, regardless of the production.
For us, there is nothing like watching a Broadway show in NYC!  We love the total
experience: from pre- theater cocktails to post theater dinner... nothing compares 
to a Broadway show on Broadway.  Legally Blonde is one of our daughter's 
favorite Broadway musicals, so incorporating miniature playbills with some of our
favorite shows was perfect for our NYC themed tree...
 I used card stock to print replicas of our playbills as I didn't 
want to ruin our originals.  We like to keep the playbills from all 
of the shows we have seen.  I punched a hole at the top, attached holiday bakers twine,
and I instantly had a playbill ornament perfect for our tree.
 The special little ornament we purchased years ago atop that very building
where we were engaged will always hold a special place in our hearts...
It hangs perfectly on our NYC themed tree to remind us of that very special 
moment in our lives...

There's just something about riding in a NYC taxi...
I hailed this little cab at Pottery Barn last year, and hung him on our main family Christmas tree not knowing I would be creating a NYC themed tree the following year.
He was so adorable, I had to order half a dozen more for our NYC themed tree this year.

And we all know that New York first responders are some of the most 
amazing and bravest people on the planet.  When I saw this adorable fire truck ornament
at my local holiday store, I had to bring him home.  I used a black sharpie to write
FDNY on the sides of the truck, and  instantly had a New York City firetruck ornament ready to hang on the tree.  And yes, it is fair to say that I am on the hunt for "New York's finest" police car to add to the tree next year.
Here's a"city" view from 34th & Fifth Avenue...


 Some of my favorite spots, where I enjoy 
dining, shopping, and side walk cafes...


That beautiful lady who stands on Liberty Island in New York Harbor
continues to welcome us with open arms...
I was lucky to find Lady Liberty at Pottery Barn. She compliments the tree
exceptionally well.




We all know a trip to NYC isn't complete without bringing home that 
special little blue box...I purchased plain brown cardboard boxes at the 
craft store, used blue craft paint, attached a silky white bow to give it 
that authentic look, and TADA... my version of the little blue box came to life.
I attached a gold cord to the top using hot glue & presto, just like that this adorable
package hung from the tree branch.

I learn so much from my creative blogger friends, and if you look closely,
you will see an adorable little soldier on one of the branches.  The Christmas Soldier in the background was inspired by my talented and creative blogger friend,
 Cristina at http://www.remodelandolacasa.com/ .  Cristina participated
in a 12 days of Christmas ornament project, and once I saw her adorable wooden holiday soldiers, I knew I had to try replicating them for my NYC themed tree.  The adorable wooden soldiers remind me of the ones I've seen many times at Radio City Music Hall's Christmas Spectacular.  

 Here is another view of the adorable little wooden soldiers...


I wanted to incorporate the five boroughs
into the tree, and using a sharpie marker,
I was able to represent them in a whimsical 
and creative ways...
 I got so lucky to find these white ball ornaments
that allowed me to permanently enhance them
with the simple use of a marker... 












If you don't already know, I bleed pinstripes... I am a and always have been
a Yankees fan, and I of course had to add a little Bronx pride on my NYC tree.
The hubby found this adorable little ornament at the sports store and brought it home for me...
Doesn't he look adorable underneath one of my miniature helmets I got from the stadium last year?!


 Some of my fav spots in Lower Manhattan & the west side...


The Piece de Resistance!!!
As I designed my NYC themed tree, I struggled with what I would 
use as a tree topper...I toyed with many ideas, but none had that wow factor.
And just like that, the hubby said, "why not create the ball as it 
drops on New Year's Eve over Time Square."  I made several trips to the 
craft store, because it took a lot of sparkle to cover that styrofoam ball, 
but it was OH SO WORTH IT!  
 

 The perfect tree topper for my NYC themed tree, and all the credit goes to the hubby.



A simple white tree skirt to resemble snow topped off with 
our  street sign which our princess is named after, and my NYC themed tree is complete.



Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

XX,
Betty


 

























































sharing at:
http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/ 
http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/ 

1 comment:

  1. Wow WOW I was amazed last year with your New England Christmas tree, and now this New York tree is equally or even more spectacular! I love all of the ornaments, the white Christmas balls with the words are such a clever idea. Your husband's idea for the topper is pure genius! Thanks so much for the shout out. ;) I'm pinning and sharing over fb.
    Wishing you, your husband and daughter a very Merry Christmas!
    XOXO,
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete