Thursday, August 30, 2018

Creating an Inviting Ambiance is key when Preparing and Styling your Guestroom for Receiving Guests.

Preparing & Styling our Guest Bedroom



We've all been there.  You know, that trip you made to visit family or friends and they insisted 
on having you stay with them.  While you appreciated their gesture, their "guest room" didn't feel inviting nor comfortable:

 The pet hamster ran on his wheel all night, there wasn't any room in the closet to hang your clothes, and it basically felt like you were sleeping in someone's "Catch All Room" with all of the storage boxes that took up half of the room.  You wished you would have declined their hospitable offer and made hotel reservations.

Why oh why do some people's guest's rooms feel cold and uninviting?...
I blame this lack of effective hospitality on the misconception that many often think 
providing their house guests with the spare bedroom in their home and clean bedding 
is all that is necessary when hosting their overnight guests.

While a designated room with a door is of course ideal, and clean bedding is a must...there is so much more that goes into preparing a guestroom for guests. 

I decided to write this blog post to give you my personal checklist on how to effectively prepare 
a guest room for receiving guests.

Here is my motto for making a guestroom inviting:
A guestroom should be a space that for the duration of their stay, 
your guests feel as if they are in their own private suite.

The question I asked myself when I designed our guestroom was a simple one... 

Q:  How do I like to feel when I walk into a hotel room?  
A:  I want the space to make me feel as if I am the first person to have ever stayed in that room. I want to see that the hotel staff took time in considering my needs and my personal preferences upon my arrival. I want to notice personal touches that were prepared just for me.

So having this mentality made it really easy for me to design a guestroom that would make my guests feel welcomed and special almost as if the room was designed just for them.

Here are my personal tips to creating a guest room that is inviting, and a place your guests will want to return to.
 Preparing the space:
Tip #1: De-clutter room of all personal belongings.  Remove fish/reptile tanks, kid's toys, papers, etc.

Tip #2: Clean your guest bedroom thoroughly.  This includes, dusting (windows/shutters/curtains included), sweeping floor/or vaccuming carpets, and don't forget to wash all bedding.

Tip #3: Make space in the closet and drawers, and provide extra hangers, a shoe rack, and a place to store luggage.  

Tip #4:  If you own a landline, lower or disconnect the ringer volume and answering machine so that your guests don't get awakened by a ringing phone.

Now that your guest room is ready to receive guests, let's talk about the extra touches that will make your guests feel that much more special.

I like to make the guest room look not only presentable, but pretty.  I want a space that is fresh smelling, and aesthetically beautiful, but most importantly, I like to make the guest room a space that makes my guests feel extra special when they are in our home. From personal touches to beautiful styling, I take great care in preparing our guest room for my overnight guests.

Personal touches to make your guestroom an inviting and comfortable space...
 Tip #5: In a basket or chest, provide a couple of throws.  You want to give your guests options depending on their comfort level during their sleep.  I recommend supplying them with a lightweight and a heavy throw. This way, depending on the weather or AC strength, they can choose which fits their personal preference.
                                                                                 


Options are always a good thing especially when it comes to your guest's comfort...

 

The Bedside Table/Nightstand

Tip#6: Dress up the bedside table with flowers or small plants, a lightly scented candle (ask in advance what fragrances they prefer), and provide reading materials such as magazines geared to their specific interests. A city map, restaurant and excursion lists are always a great idea as well if your guests will be venturing out on their own. 








 Extra Essentials...
Tip #7:  Provide your home's WIFI password.  Sometimes guests are shy about asking for your password.  Having it accessible without their having to ask prevents those awkward moments. I place mine in a basket along with the TV remote controls.  If you have a desk in your space, you can place the card on the desk.

















The Wardrobe/Closet/Bedding...
Tip#8:  Make sure to stock the closet with two extra pillows as well an extra quilt/ blanket for chilly nights.





 Tip#9: I like to provide a small basket with a couple of water bottles, 
packaged nuts (check for allergies) or cookies for those late night cravings.


 I purchased these baskets at HomeGoods...




 The En-Suite Guest Bath...
 Tip#10: If you have a designated en-suite bathroom, lay out shower essentials: Shampoos/Conditioners, two sets of towels, bath soap, razor (his/hers) shave gel, Q-Tips, cotton balls, band-aids etc.  I always like to include a small bottle of Advil/Tylenol just in case of a headache, etc.  If your guest bath is not an-en suite, then place these items in a basket on the bed or dresser.






Hotel-like Extras...
Tip#11: Providing robes is a great little extra touch your guests will appreciate especially if your guest room is not an en-suite. IKEA has affordable robes that are perfect for guests.  You can also purchase inexpensive slippers at IKEA for your guests to use and keep. 

(Robe shown Not from IKEA)




Welcoming Gesture...
Tip#12:  Hang a cute WELCOME sign, picture or saying.  By adding a little whimsy in the room it will make the space feel loved and comfortable.




And there you have it.  Some great tips on creating a soothing and welcoming ambiance for your overnight guests.  Happy Hosting!

I have many more personal tips to offer for creating a beautifully thought out guest bedroom, but for now, I think these simple rules will carry you through the next time you host overnight guests.

 HAPPY HOSTING!!


XX,

Betty 




No comments:

Post a Comment