Monday, March 5, 2018

A spring palette with the colors of a place that has special meaning to my family: Design a space that embodies the essence of who you are,and not the look that belongs in someome else' home.





Spring is almost here and that means down come the 
drab colors of winter and soon we will see pops of color everywhere.


As it's visible in my own home styling, brighter colors are showing up.
One advantage that I have this year over previous years is that our new home's 
decor color palette is very consistent with the colors of spring. How lucky and I 
that I don't have to do a huge turnover from winter into spring, and how lucky am I that 
my new spring color palette has become the permanent color palette for our new home?!

But perhaps the most meaningful reason my spring color palette is the right choice
for my home is that it represents my family and what we love.

STICKING TO YOUR OWN STYLE: 
My advice when others are trying to find the decor style for their own home is this...
just because you see it on Instagram, doesn't mean it's your style.  It might work for others, but it may not be the perfect styling for your home.  I stick to what works for or me and my family.  I stick to what my family and I love, and it doesn't matter what the trends are, I don't waiver from the style that is unique to me and my family. 

 I am a firm believer that one's home decor style should reflect and define
who you are and what you love. I feel it creates a well defined home when the design compliments the passions and taste of those that reside within.

  I love neutral design styling with pops of soft colors.  And as
a family, we love New England.  So, it's only appropriate that our design meets our taste
perfectly.  When we decided on a New England / Hamptons' style for our new home, all three of us were on board instantly.  It just feels right for us, and we cannot wait to see the outcome of each space as it comes to life room by room.

So back to my spring color palette.  My love of white remains, and that's the beautiful thing about a white background... everything blends in well.   

Our spring and new home color palette will look something like this...

                                                          
                                                                
I will be mixing pale blues and soft greens with whites and light grays,buttery creams and
subtle yellows to create The Hamptons style my family loves. 






 I like to compare my design palette to that of a nest filled with robins' eggs, or the colors of the sailboats on Oak Bluffs Marina on Martha's Vineyard







                                                                       

Plenty of Texture...
 The New England /Hamptons style is filled with texture.
 I've incorporated  an abundance of texture 
in the use of linens, greenery, glass, weaved and wire baskets,
woods,personal photography as well as in decorative pillows and throws,
 to coastal accents and wood decor.  Fortunately for me, 
these are staple pieces in my home all year long so they 
will be a consistent part of the Hamptons style I am 
                                                         bringing into our new home.

 Greenery will be visible throughout...
This faux greenery shrub makes for an excellent filler 
in between natural floral shopping trips.

                   Wood, wicker, and wire baskets will be staples in my New England /Hamptons style home, as seen below.















White and blue/gray pillows bring that
 coastal charm to the greatroom couch. 
                                                                                My own framed photography
                                                                                    is a sweet reminder of our favorite spot on the 
                                                                                vineyard . Incorporating my photography is 
                                                                                   another example of making the design my own.   


 Soft textiles draped over our covered dining chairs
 bring forth an elegant Cape Cod lifestyle to the space.



These are just a snippet of how my New England / Hamptons style home is coming along.
I could not be happier with this subtle yet elegant color palette.
 What I love most about the colors I've chosen is that they are symbolic of  warm breezy days out 
on the New England waters.

 As when I'm designing for others, it makes me happy to bring to my clients a style that symbolizes the essence of their family, and I feel no different when designing for my family. 
 This color palette and design style is special for US.  

It's easy to get so caught up in the design style of others.  We see so many cookie cutter designs on Instagram and we are often tempted to recreate them in our individual spaces, but when you feel tempted to copy someone else' style, ask yourself, does that design style define me and my family? Does that design style feel natural in my home?
 
These are really important questions when designing your space. 
 You want to make sure your space is genuine. You want to make sure your space is comfortable for you and your family rather than having it feel like it's someone else space.  Don't get sucked in by the trends that in the end will feel disconnected from who you are and what you truly love. 

 You want to design a home that all design elements exemplify you and your family.  From the color, to the textures, to the accessories you use, they should describe you in one way or another.

 So as I mentioned, the pics enclosed in this post are just a snippet of the color palette
that I have chosen for our New England /Hamptons style home.  I can't wait to see this design come to full circle, because it is a design that resonates with a place my family and I hold dear memories of, and one that we will love for a very long time.

I hope you find the design that reflects and defines what you and your family love! Don't copy, stay original, because when your home doesn't feel like YOU, it feels empty and out of place, and it's visible to everyone who steps inside.



XX,

Betty



No comments:

Post a Comment