Thursday, May 28, 2015

Faux SEA GLASS BOTTLES Tutorial

Faux SEA GLASS BOTTLES:
 


I chuckle silently to myself
when I see the mad dash of shoppers
at my favorite home decor stores searching for everything coastal...
Anything and everything coastal, seems to be the trend these days.
I chuckle because, living in So Cal, and minutes from Malibu, coastal decor
has always been "my thing" long before the decor stores jumped on the trend.

I love everything about coastal living, and I don't limit my coastal 
decor to summer months...Our master bedroom is proof of that as
was my New England inspired dining room Christmas tree last December.

***********
Today's post is about Sea Glass Bottles...
I've been fortunate to collect some pretty awesome 
sea glass bottles from our vacations to New England, and I absolutely love them!
Something about the soft hint of green and blue that reminds me of summers
On Martha's Vineyard. And, I've also purchased some cute reproductions as well.

Last week, while I helped a friend design her coastal family room,
I came up short when looking for pieces to display on her mantle...because her 
coastal decor inventory was very minimal, I came up with creating my own version
of the Sea Glass Bottle to display above her mantle.  As a former kindergarten teacher, 
Mod Podge was my best friend, so after brainstorming of ways I could produce pretty
sea glass bottles, I remembered my old friend, Mod... Podge that is.

Here is a quick step by step tutorial on how to create simple faux sea glass bottles of your own.


What you'll need: 

Bottles in various shapes and sizes
Mod Podge (I used Gloss Luster waterbased Mod Podge)
Food Coloring (green or blue)
Paint Brush or Decoupage Brush (foam ones work best)
Paper Towels
A disposable plastic cup 

Something to stir the mixture (I used a skewer)

Instructions:


     Choose glass bottles in various shapes and sizes

 
      Pour about 1/4 cup of Mod Podge into your disposable cup

   

                         Add about 4 drops of food coloring over the Mod Podge (in your choice of color)

 

                            Mix the Mod Podge and food coloring together until blended completely

 

 Using your paint brush, apply long even strokes from the mouth of your bottle to the bottom (For stability, place a finger or two inside the mouth of the bottle to hold your bottle in place while you cover it with solution.)
 

 Once the entire bottle is covered in your Paint Mod Podge solution, take your paper towel, and  briskly wipe downward to remove some of the wet solution. You must do this step quickly, otherwise the solution will dry up rather fast.




                          Set your bottle down to dry on top of wax paper so that it does not stick.  




And there you have it, an easy way to create your very own Faux SEA GLASS Bottles!




 Summer is almost here... enjoy every second of it!


XX,

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I bet your friends decor looked awesome after you did this for her!?

    Have a wonderful weekend coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to give them a try. Love those soft colors! Thank for the tut, Betty!

    ReplyDelete