Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Theme Party Central

It's been busy around here, and it has nothing to do with
 Valentine's Day,  which is fast approaching.  

You see, at our house, the very first day of January puts me in "Birthday Party Planning Mode."  I don't even get a chance to breathe from putting away all of the holiday decor!  Although our daughter's birthday is at the end of February, it honestly takes a month to plan.  The first culprit is the weather and the other is the theme!  Our rainiest month in Southern California happens to be February.  Because of the probability of rain, the party ALWAYS HAS TO BE INDOOR!  
And, because very much like her mother, my daughter is into "themes," no simple bowling party at a bowling alley will do!  If that wasn't enough, this year we are celebrating the 
BIG ONE... DOUBLE DIGITS!!!  So, with those three critical details combined,  it is fair to say that, I am in full throttle when it comes to planning her birthday this year!

The theme has been decided... It's a RED CARPET PARTY this year!  I can't wait to share all of the details with you in pictures come February.  But just so you get a glimpse of what usually goes on during birthday party planning mode, I am sharing a few pics from her 9th birthday last year.  The theme was... Mardi Gras...or as my daughter Madison renamed it, "MADDIE GRAS "

The Table...
  




 These adorable little bottles were perfect
 for hanging some festive feathers from the chandelier.  


 I used sheer fabric to create three horizontal table runners in the traditional Mardi Gras Carnival color hue. I folded each in half, tied a knot on both ends, and they stayed in place while providing a beautiful color scheme on the Mardi Gras Table.


I wanted to incorporate the colorful  Mardi Gras necklace beads as part of the main centerpiece, but I wanted them elevated rather than laying flat on the table.  So, I happened to find this amazing T-shaped branch on one of my walks, and it was exactly what I needed for hanging the necklace beads.  It made for the perfect centerpiece!

 I used silver hurricanes from my Christmas decor 
 to display some of the Mardi Gras accents on the table.  

I used feathers and cardstock all in Mardi Gras colors to adorn the candy jars.  The candy buffet tablecloth was a piece of Dupioni silk fabric that was left over from a house decor project I had previously done. 




The gold chargers added a pretty glow 
to the overall look of the table.  The best part was that I
already owned them, so it was one less thing I had to purchase.


 The place cards are made of high quality cardstock 
and embellished with a simple Mardi Gras clip art image.
The place settings were decorated with Mardi Gras bead necklaces in gold, green, and purple, as well as with Mardi Gras fleur de lis shaped silly bands.  I purchased both at the local party supply store.  The birthday girl got her very own Mardi Gras wand!

 I purchased three oversized Mardi Gras masks
and hung them around the roomThey shimmered in the light, and 
gave the room that real life Mardi Gras Carnival feel.

    To bring the "French Quarter" vibe into the room, I created a "girl's lounge".  I wrapped pillows in a French Toile fabric, and placed them on top of sofa cushions I removed from our family room sofa and hung a simple Mardi Gras banner on the wall.  After all the dancing, bead throwing, and karaoke that night, this became a very popular spot in the room.

 What's a Mardi Gras parade without the colorful coins, feathers, and beadsI purchased these goodies at the local party supply store, and they made for a pretty display on the table, and were a hit with the girls when my hubby and I stood at the top of our stairs and threw them down to the girls in real Mardi Gras parade fashion!
 And by the smile on the birthday girl's face, I would say
that her "MADDIE GRAS" thematic party
 was a huge success!

So now you know what I'll be doing for the next month.  
I hope her Red Carpet- Double Digits Birthday Party will be 
as successful as this one was!

I'll see you on the Red Carpet!

Hugs,

Betty
 
sharing at French Country Cottage
Feathered Nest Friday
  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it's going to be hard to top it off! Everything looks perfect! My son is also turning double digits at the end of this month, but as a good boy, he doesn't want a party! :(
    Can't wait to see all that red carpet style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Christina! Glad you liked the theme. Happy Birthday to your son as well!

    Hugs,

    Betty

    ReplyDelete